Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chagrin Valley Mud & Clay Soap

Mud & Clay Shampoo Bar Packaging
Throughout my loc journey, I’ve come across quite a few shampoo bar soaps.  I always wanted to purchase some, but was always hesitant,.  Well most recently I ordered some sample size shampoo bar soaps from Chagrin Valley Soaps.  Most people rave about these soaps and I really wanted to try them for myself, as they have a wide selection of soaps.  The samples were reasonably priced at $2.60,  and the sample sizes were great.  I ordered the following samples:

  1. Olive/Babassu

  2. Babassu Marshmallow

  3. Mud & Clay and

  4. Rosemary Mint.
I will try to do a review for each of the soaps individually. I received the soaps very timely. I ordered on  Thursday, they shipped that same Saturday, and I received them on the Monday.

The first soap that I tried  was the mud & clay soap.  My reason for purchasing this soap is that it contains Rhassoul Clay.  I hear  many people rave about the benefits of this clay, but since I have locs, I resisted purchasing, as I can imagine how stressful washing the clay out of my locs would be. This soap seemed like the perfect way to incorporate my desire to try out rhassoul clay.  The soap also contains many other beneficial ingredients such as dead sea mud, lemongrass and sea kelp. Another good reason for me purchasing this soap, is because in the description, it  stated that it will help restore the luster to over processed overworked and dull hair.  Since my locs are over processed,, this shampoo bar seemed like the best choice.
Mud & Clay Sample Size

Locs with lather from shampoo bar

I first took the soap, and cut off a small piece to avoid wasting the soap.  The soap is not rock hard, so you don’t have to cut the soap with a knife, you can break a piece off with your hands. I then saturated my locs with water, and sectioned my locs in 3 sections.  I applied the soap directly to my locs and scalp in a downward motion.  There wasn’t much lather, but you can definitely tell that the soap was dispersed through the locs.  If you feel that applying the soap directly to your locs may cause build-up, you can definitely rub the soap in between your hands, and apply the lather to your locs.   After shampooing and rinsing my hair twice, I decided to just leave my hair as is and not apply any conditioner.  Why? My hair felt so nice.  If you’ve ever had super over dry or over processed hair, let alone locs, you know how crunchy and dry they may feel.  My locs felt good. My scalp and new growth felt clean and soft. What I did do however, is grease my scalp with the Njoi Herbal Hair Dressing (read the review). After using the soap, I let it air dry before placing it back in the brown paper bag.  I let my locs air dry too, to give it the ultimate final test, as I notice I have hard stiff locs when I air dry them, but this time I didn’t.  The following day, the roots of my hair felt very soft and clean, which is a major improvement from the brillo pad type feeling that I got the day before.  I am very pleased with this soap, and look forward to using it in the future. 

I plan to use this soap as my clarifying treatment once a month, and will follow it up with an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

You can buy and view other wonderful products by Chagrin Valley by visiting their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment